What is the Diabetes Prevention Program? A program from The Center for Disease Control and Prevention that reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%, and in adults aged 60 and over, by 71%. It incorporates healthy lifestyle changes by eating healthier, increasing physical activity, and losing a modest amount of weight.
Why is this important?
- 8.1 million people do not know they have diabetes
- 86 million Americans aged 20 years or older are prediabetic
- Diabetes is associated with serious complications:
- Heart disease and stroke
- Kidney failure
- Lower‐limb amputation
What does commitment entail? It involves a 12 month commitment working in a small group of 8‐15 people to learn about healthier eating and increasing physical activity with trained Lifestyle Coaches. For the first 16 weeks the classes meet weekly, the following 8 months are bi‐monthly/monthly sessions for the rest of the 12 month period. The goal is to reduce body weight by 7% and to increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
How do I qualify? People who are eligible to participate in the ClubWorx Diabetes Prevention Program must be 18 and older, have NO previous diagnosis of diabetes, and meet the following criteria:
- BMI of 25 or greater (22+ for Asian individuals) AND
- A physician’s diagnosis and/or confirmatory blood test for prediabetes
- Diagnosis: Documentation of a combination of risk factors identified by the CDC.
- Blood test:
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL OR
- HbA1C: 5.7–6.4% OR o Two‐hour (75 gm glucola) plasma glucose: 140–199 mg/dL
People who are already diabetic do not qualify for this program.
Members: $29/month for 12 months
Paid In Full: $325 for the year
(plus a one-time $35 Health Assessment/Lifestyle Consult, to be collected at the front desk)
Wednesdays 7:00pm starting January 24th
Cost includes discount to the 2018 Transformation Challenge
For more information contact Kathy Kreis
Find out if you are at risk, download our risk assessment quiz